The basis for the appearance of back pain is the response of the human body to irritated nerve roots, which lie in the area between the 12th rib and the coccyx. Often, the cause of back pain is degenerative-dystrophic changes in the lumbar spine caused by diseases such as osteochondrosis or spondyloarthrosis.
Causes of back pain
Most often, pain in the lumbar spine is triggered by changes in it. Such changes should be taken very seriously, not hoping that it will "pass by itself. "The most common changes in this part of the spinal column are:
- Protrusion of intervertebral discs;
- Herniated disc;
A characteristic feature of back pain is an increase in pain symptoms with an increase in the range of motion in the lower back.
Other, equally serious causes of back pain include:
- Vertebral fractures;
- Tumor metastases and tumors themselves;
- Infectious and non-infectious lesions of the spine;
- Irradiation of pain (spread of pain waves) caused by gynecological or urological diseases.
Do you know that?. .
According to statistics, up to 90% of back pain is caused by dysfunctions of the muscle-fascial formations of the lumbar spine. And only 10% of the total number of cases of low back pain are associated with disorders associated with bone structures (vertebral disorders).
Science has proven that very often, the causes of osteochondrosis and spondyloarthrosis in this department are the displacement of the vertebrae (which, by the way, are quite easily corrected).
By the way, it is the displacement of the vertebrae in this section of the spinal column that is often the cause of lower back pain in children and adolescents.
Blocking the intervertebral joints (block) causes muscle-tonic reactions, which are looped according to the pain-tension-pain scheme.
Talking about the causes of lower back pain, I would like to tell the reader about the practice that was introduced into the therapy of lower back pain in the 80s of the last century. Then the cause of inflammation of the nerve roots was seen in the infectious nature and unsuccessfully tried to treat low back pain with antibiotic therapy.
As the years have passed, new diagnostic techniques such as MRI of the lumbar spine have proven that true inflammation is not always the cause of lumbar pain.
Classification of back pain
Traumatologists, surgeons, vertebrologists, chiropractors, it is customary to distinguish between several types-types of back pain:
- Lumboishalgia. A characteristic feature of this pain is its "giving" to the leg. This is one of the most serious symptoms that can indicate the presence of an intervertebral hernia;
- Lumbodynia. It is characterized by a aching character, often has a chronic course. Often, it is a "reward" for prolonged stress on the spine during sedentary work;
- Lumbago. This is a sharp lumbago. Usually this is the body's response to overload and hypothermia.
Among the risk factors for the occurrence of pain symptoms in the lumbar region, it is imperative to mention and highlight:
- Prolonged hypothermia, overstrain and being in one position of the lumbar spine;
- Weak muscle-tendon apparatus in the lower back;
- Smoking, alcohol and excess weight, which creates additional stress on the spinal column;
- Various curvatures of the spine that cannot be corrected;
- Chronic vitamin and mineral deficiencies;
- Inadequate nutrition.
Diagnosis of back pain
Before any treatment for low back pain, it is necessary to conduct a quality diagnosis. It is noteworthy that concomitant diseases can be the causes of pain. Therefore, urological, gynecological renal pathologies should be excluded.
Often, diagnosing low back pain is straightforward. In some cases, a doctor's examination and anamnesis are sufficient. In severe cases, it may be necessary to carry out additional diagnostic measures in the form of MRI or computed tomography, X-ray of the lumbar spine.
Low back pain is a fairly common problem, and yet you shouldn't be careless about it. Do not torment yourself with pains and do not let them wear you out. If they do not go away within 2-3 days, you should immediately contact a specialist to stop them.
What is cupping? Cupping - Termination of a disease or pathological process.
The main projections vary depending on the age at which the pains appeared and their causes. The most unfavorable prognosis is if pain occurs at an early age. Early (by the age of 20-22) the formation of protrusion with the formation of intervertebral hernias by the age of 30-35 is predicted. Further, if the problems are not treated, the course of hernias can be aggravated by diffuse neurological symptoms, vascular diseases and autonomic dysfunctions. A more favorable prognosis can be given with the formation of pain at the age of 50 or more years, with its clear localization in the lumbar spine and its easy relief. In most cases, such a pain symptom is based on degenerative-dystrophic changes and the prognosis is favorable.
Low back pain treatment
A condition in which you should definitely consult a doctor:
- A recent injury to the lower back;
- Increased pain at night;
- Weighed down oncological history;
- Recently transferred infectious diseases;
- Bob is accompanied by urinary and / or fecal incontinence;
- The first attack of low back pain in my life, which is of high intensity;
- A consistently high pain wave in the lower back, which is not corrected when changing posture or when moving
- Neurological deficit, changes in consciousness up to its loss.
When treating low back pain, the cause should be addressed. Often, it is lesions from the vertebrae and the musculo-ligamentous apparatus.
Among the therapeutic measures usually used for pain symptoms in the lumbar region, mention should be made of:
- Elimination of vertebral subluxation;
- Immobilization measures;
- Measures for pain relief and elimination of the inflammatory process;
- Formation of the optimal status of the musculo-ligamentous apparatus and the correct physiological motor stereotype in the patient.
Among the measures of drug exposure, injections or suppositories with diclofenac should be distinguished (for acute, high-intensity pain). But remember that the medicine is prescribed only by a doctor, after a full assessment of your condition, indications and contraindications.
The main myths about lower back pain
Myth 1. "If lower back pain appears, it should be treated while lying in bed. "
Immobilization will only aggravate the situation, slowing down the metabolism of substances in tissues, increasing inflammatory processes. But this does not mean that with back pain, you need to actively engage in sports. The patient must observe the mode of movement that is optimal for his condition.
Myth 2. "The appearance of back pain indicates the need for surgical treatment. "
A myth at the level of stupidity. In the initial stage of any disease leading to pain in the lumbar region, surgery is not indicated for the vast majority of patients. Pain therapy should begin with conservative methods of influencing it. Modern medicine has a lot of methods and methods of conservative treatment of even such a severe lesion as intervertebral hernia.
Myth 3. "Low back pain can be treated without diagnosis. "
Another deep misconception. Correctly carried out diagnostics, often, is able to "open the eyes" of both the doctor and the patient and help them to cope with the cause of pain faster and more efficiently.
Myth 4. "Back pain can be treated with" miracle massagers ", corsets, mattresses"
Of course, a certain relief can be achieved if massagers are used (not in an acute form), some fixation methods and a good bed. But they will not eliminate the cause of the pain.
Myth 5. "Low back pain should not be treated in principle. Everyone has them, and I am no exception. "
A delusion that is completely unrelated to the real course of affairs. According to statistics, lower back pain occurs in no more than a third of the world's population. And the seemingly large number of people suffering from it is due to the chronic course of diseases of the lumbar spine, which, often, are not treated.