Serious spinal disease is often referred to as humanity's payment for evolution. Since our distant ancestors became bipedal, the load on the ridge has increased many times over. The anatomical structure of the spine ensures its mobility, but at the same time creates the prerequisites for osteochondrosis, an indispensable companion of which is severe pain.
The nature of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine
The skeleton consists of more than 30 paired and unpaired vertebrae. Most of them have a body, arches, two legs, ligaments, articular processes. Muscle groups are attached to them. Cartilaginous discs are located between the vertebral bodies. A complex structural combination regulates vital functions.
In the center of each vertebra there is a hole that forms a canal. The spinal cord passes through it. Neck treatment is particularly difficult, requires attention and high medical qualifications.
The cervical vertebrae are very small. Therefore, they are more mobile and vulnerable. With age or under the influence of unfavorable stimuli, the destruction of the cartilaginous base occurs. The most vulnerable links are primarily destroyed, in particular the smallest upper vertebrae:
- Atlas is the first and smallest vertebra without a body. It got its name from the name of the ancient hero who supports the firmament. Atlas "holds" the cranium.
- Epistrophy: this cervical vertebra in the anterior zone contains a dentate outgrowth. Atlas and epistrophy allow the neck to rotate the head.
There are holes in their processes: an artery and veins pass through them. Reduction of intervertebral distances compresses them and threatens to obstruct blood flow.
In the formation of the disease, the leading role belongs to the quality of the intervertebral discs, which consist of a multilayer annulus fibrosus, pulp and nucleus. Layers of strong fibers form a secure ring capable of holding the nucleus in the center and fixing the vertebrae in the correct position. Over the years, the elastic material is replaced by a fragile cicatricial substance.The disc loses its strength and loses the ability to perform physiological tasks. With cervical chronic osteochondrosis, intradiscal pressure increases, a rupture of the disc ring occurs, and the pulp penetrates into the vacated space. This is how an intervertebral hernia manifests itself, causing severe pain due to compression of the nerve fibers. Sometimes destructive phenomena also affect hard tissues.
The reasons for the destruction of bones and cartilage are varied. Often, osteochondrosis manifests itself as a result of a number of negative factors, the most significant of which are:
- Overweight. Obesity, which is present in many modern city dwellers, creates additional vertical pressure on the skeleton, as a result of which its cervical region also suffers.
- Physical inactivity. Dynamic deficiency weakens the muscle framework. After a short time, he undergoes dystrophy and is not able to provide urgent support. The vertebrae begin to deviate to the side, additional pressure arises in certain parts, leading to damage and pain.
- Improper or insufficient nutrition. Nutritional restriction or refusal of the diet leads to the cessation of the supply of vital microelements to the cartilaginous, muscle tissue, and its structure changes. The back becomes more vulnerable, the threat of injuries, fractures and infectious lesions increases.
- Transformation of hormonal levels. With age, an internal imbalance occurs in the metabolic mechanism. Bone and cartilaginous elements become fragile, the flexibility of the spine is sharply reduced (up to its complete loss). In addition to age, genetic predisposition becomes a provoking moment. Hormonal osteochondrosis is a type of hereditary disease.
- Uneven distribution of load on the ridge. Attacks of acute osteochondrosis occur with heavy lifting or sports exercises.
- Prolonged abnormal position of the spine (with an uncomfortable sitting at the table), constant external circumstances (during physical labor, driving a car).
- High heels are the source of a number of health problems. Uncomfortable shoes cause a shift in the body's natural center of gravity and uneven weight distribution. The spine is under tremendous strain. High heels are especially dangerous during pregnancy. Flat feet also affect the stability of the ridge.
- Injuries of varying severity. Old injuries, if the patient ignores them, cause osteochondrosis of the neck area and cause severe pain.
- Infectious diseases. Treating a neck complicated by an infection is particularly difficult and requires highly professional assistance.
It is difficult to say which of the listed signs is most significant for establishing the origins of cervical segment dysfunction. Any of them has harmful consequences.
What are the symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
With the appearance of pain in the cervical space, the doctor finds out their primary source and treats it. Pain is not the only symptom.
The following symptoms are observed:
- Aching pain in the neck area even in a static position. The phenomenon is explained by the fact that the destruction of intervertebral substances causes compression of the nerve fibers of the upper spine. An additional negative stimulus is inflammatory phenomena in the soft tissues located around the focus of the disease. Similar symptoms appear in other diseases, it is reasonable to consult a doctor to eliminate pain.
- Sharp pain accompanying a change in posture (difficult to turn your head). Occurs due to excessive muscle tension. They try to neutralize deficiencies and strive to maintain the cervical vertebrae in a functional position. Overexertion results in an inflammatory disease and pain.
- Numbness in the cervical section is provoked by squeezing the vessels of the roots of the spinal cord. When damaged, there is a deficiency in tissue nutrition, which complicates the course of the disease.
- Artery spasm due to hard outgrowths, arthrosis. Dizziness, headache, "spots" in front of the eyes are a sign of spasm.
During the development of cervical osteochondrosis, various elements are involved in the disease.
External symptoms of the disease are a manifestation of the following internal processes:
- Lack of blood supply to the disc pulp. In the absence of disease, the blood flow is directed towards the discs according to the diffusion principle. Osteochondrosis is the reason that blood flow slows down and reduces the amount of nutrients acceptable for nutrition. The required amount of water does not enter the core, its consistency loses its elasticity, it loses its amortization ability. The vertebrae often "beat" against each other and are subject to injury.
- The deformation of the annulus fibrosus is due to the loss of its elasticity. Due to a decrease in the strength of the nucleus pulposus, an additional load is placed on the annulus fibrosus. If treatment is not carried out, then symptoms of cervical displacement, pinching of nerve fibers will appear, and the threat of spinal cord injury is formed.
- Bulging of the nucleus pulposus - protrusion of the disc. Sometimes there is a rupture of the annulus fibrosus and the formation of an intervertebral hernia.
- Joint destruction - spondylosis, resulting in the destruction of bone structures and ossification of the ligaments. The ridge becomes motionless (the patient cannot even turn his head).
- Discogenic sciatica - a form of hernia, compression of nerve endings. Pain in the back of the head, arrhythmia, stiffness of the vertebrae are added to the sensations of numbness of the upper extremities.
Treatment of osteochondrosis of the neck.
Every year the disease "gets younger". Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine affects people 30-35 years old and even younger. Due to the fact that adolescents spend a lot of time in a static position at the computer, the disease affects even schoolchildren. Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine is accompanied by increased intracranial pressure, deterioration of vision. The pain makes you see a doctor for treatment. Even the mildest form of osteochondrosis requires recovery work. It is important to objectively assess the nature of the disease.
Each case of the disease is individual, but there are general stages of treatment:
- The initial stage is dedicated to pain relief. There are different ways to block pain: sometimes pain relievers are urgently needed before full treatment begins.
- Disk restoration. Such long-term work requires patience and perseverance. There are a wide range of medical supplies. The main task is to determine which one to give preference to.
- Activation of the blood supply to the affected area. An important stage contributing to better tissue nutrition, delivery of the necessary amino acids and trace elements to them.
- Restoration of muscle tone. Provides an opportunity for the correct positioning of all skeleton fragments.
- Prevention and construction of a recovery program have a lasting effect. Rehabilitation continues even with the elimination of inflammation.
People think the specialist will prescribe pain medications first. Medicine offers different ways of solving the question: "Which doctor should I go to for the correction of osteochondrosis? "
The easiest way to relieve suffering is through medication. Taking one pill in a short time heals pain, removes symptoms. But the specialist will say that the shortcut is not always the best. Many drugs are designed to act on a specific organ. The nature of their influence on others has not been studied. The biological structure of the spine is a complex system of interconnected elements. For the treatment of osteochondrosis, a universal remedy that heals one and does not harm the other has not yet been invented. But there is a combined approach to the elimination of pathologies in cervical osteochondrosis, taking into account the interrelation of elements.
Osteochondrosis demonstrates the importance of complex treatment of the cervical spine. The skeleton, muscles, ligamentous apparatus, veins, arteries, lymphatic ducts are located in the neck in close proximity to each other and act in complete mutual synchronization.
Osteopathy is a specialty of restorative medicine based on a comprehensive approach to healing the body. Treatment of organs with osteochondrosis is considered in their close relationship. In this medical field, when pain occurs, the task is to eliminate it, treat the disc and generally regulate the processes.
Drug-free treatment is aimed at activating protective reserves. The osteopathic doctor stimulates latent abilities, looks for ways to self-healing and self-regulation. Among several osteopathic branches in cervical osteochondrosis, the following methods are most effectively used in rehabilitation:
Structural method for the treatment of osteochondrosis.
Structural therapy is most often used in the correction of osteochondrosis of the neck, it is aimed at regulating the musculoskeletal system. The cervical region is a fragment of the spinal column. Functional failures are caused by damage to the articular processes. The solid base of the skeleton in the neck grows, osteophytes appear - growths. Such formations are often referred to as spikes or salt deposits. With such a pathology, you need to consult a specialist. Osteophytes injure soft tissues and discs. During the course of the disease:
- muscles lose their ability to support the ridge and have to turn to a supporting corset.
- the ligaments lose their elasticity, deform the skeleton, the vertebrae are fused and the skeleton loses flexibility.
- nerve endings are compressed, causing painful sensations.
With severe pain in the neck, it is necessary to receive treatment: the neurologist will determine the nature of the pathology.
The structural principle of healing allows the imbalance of the inner parts of the spine to be corrected. No medications are used.
Fascial correction method.
Fascial osteotherapy regulates the condition of connective tissue, veins, arteries. In the presence of osteochondrosis of the neck, this direction is as effective as the structural one. Cartilage and disc tissue interact with the skeleton. Cervical or thoracic osteochondrosis is most often observed due to the deterioration of the state of the fibrous substance. Comprehensive treatment provided by an osteopathic specialist is invaluable to preserve the function of the spine.
Visceral method of treatment.
Nerve endings, muscles, soft tissues of the neck, blood and lymphatic pathways function within a single system. Persistent inflammatory diseases of the throat affect the condition of the cervical region: inflammation spreads to soft tissues, pain and swelling appear, followed by compression of the spinal cord. The replenishment of the intervertebral discs with the necessary substances worsens - osteochondrosis occurs. Visceral osteo-directional guidance eliminates situations that interfere with the effective interaction of internal organs. Which of the approaches is the most preferable - the physician-therapist decides.
Osteoscience traces the connections between different areas of the human body and regulates their interaction, eliminating the disease. The doctor treats osteochondrosis of the cervical spine with the help of the patient.
Craniosacral method of osteochondrosis correction.
When correcting osteochondrosis of the neck, the doctor often chooses craniosacral therapy. The theoretical basis of a full-fledged section of restorative medicine is the study of the bones of the skull, which have the ability to rhythmic micromobility.
There is a connective fibrous layer between the hard parts of the skull. He is inactive, but under the influence of impulses, a subtle shift of the bone plates occurs. A rhythm failure indicates a deviation in neural connections or a deviation from physiological norms, not only in the brain, but also in other organs associated with it.
With the development of osteochondrosis of the neck, impulse failure is observed. With this course of affairs, an imbalance occurs in the movement of fluids inside the cranium, dizziness is added, the head can be turned with difficulty. The supply of important substances to the disc pulp is impaired.
A particularly bad situation affects the condition of the smallest vertebrae. From an elastic ball acting as a shock absorber, the core of the pulp turns into a solid rigid substance. The main burden falls on the disc, it collapses within a fairly short time.
The regulation of cranial impulses eliminates the original source of the problem: the normalization of fluid circulation improves the supply of the disc with the components necessary for vital activity. Manual massage is actively used. Osteochondrosis of the cervical unit recedes.
Manual and osteotherapy are unique techniques from the arsenal of restorative medicine, where a doctor treats osteochondrosis with the help of the most sensitive instrument - hands.
After getting rid of the pain, sessions will most likely be needed to consolidate the success.
- Psychotherapy - implemented in the absence of organic and infectious lesions to relieve stress and rebuild to improve the quality of life.
- Diet therapy is an effective action to reduce the force of pressure on the skeleton. A carbohydrate-free diet, limiting fat intake will quickly fix the situation.
- Physiotherapy exercises - carried out in a clinic under the guidance of a rehabilitation instructor.
- Physiotherapy is an adjunct that is actively used in osteotherapy to stimulate some areas of self-regulation.
Prevention and rehabilitation of osteochondrosis of the neck.
Cervical osteochondrosis is a multifaceted problem that affects many organic elements. Preventive actions concern the system as a whole. At the first signs of cervical osteochondrosis, you need to go to a therapist, he will conduct an examination, prescribe a diagnosis and refer you to any of the narrow specialists, including a traumatologist, neurologist, orthopedist. The test results must be taken with you to the osteopathic clinic.
The disease is eliminated not only with specific treatment, but also with the correct lifestyle and auxiliary means: exercise therapy, massage, therapeutic gymnastics.
To cure or eliminate the negative consequences of the disease, it is important to ensure:
- Active lifestyle, physical education. In the stage of remission, moderate gymnastics, a complex of physiotherapy exercises (exercise therapy) are useful. Classes are best conducted under the guidance of an instructor.
- Regular food intake, diet. A number of foods should be avoided. Salty, fatty, spicy foods are excluded from the diet.
- Reducing excess weight reduces the load on the cervical segment of the skeleton and increases the mobility of the joints.
- Protection against colds and inflammations in the cervical direction.
- Caution during physical labor and performing sports exercises. A sudden or awkward movement of the cervical section injures the joints and blocks the mobility of the skeletal structure.
- With osteochondrosis of the neck in the stage of exacerbation, for the treatment of the disease, you need to consult a doctor: he will decide which option of auxiliary support is preferable.
In the presence of injuries or if symptoms of chronic or inflammatory processes appear, you should contact a specialized specialist.
Contraindications to osteotherapy.
Osteopathic science operates with sparing means of regulating the internal processes of the dorsal region. Limitations in its use are due only to the presence of chronic diseases and the individual characteristics of the patient's body.
Osteopathy is used with caution when:
- Oncological processes.
- Focuses of infection.
- Certain types of psychiatric disorders.
An alternative to osteopathy with these contraindications can be massage or remedial gymnastics.